Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I will remember


Isn't the passage of time something that is amazing, and yet frightening as well??

I was not able to attend remembrance day ceremonies today as I came down with another cold!! However while I watched the bag pipes played and the wreaths laid, I came to realize quite sadly that the time of the great war, the war to end all wars has almost passed. There are two Veterans, one Canadian (106 years old) and one British (112 years old). Their time is almost done here on this earth, and while we all try to remember the fallen, those that have laid down their lives for us, the actual physical memories are almost gone....Only TWO people....really remember the great war.

I wonder how they felt when the 2nd world war broke out....

Korea....

Vietnam.....

Afghanistan.....

I wonder if they think this was all for nothing??

I know that the stories will be passed down, I will try to keep my end of that bargain, but when will we forget?....Us humans have a way of forgetting. My Grandfather was in the British navy in the second world war, he has also gone now, but I do still have some stories of him to pass down.

I was stirred to sobbing tears when the 112 year old gentleman tried to rise out of his wheel chair to show his respect for the fallen....he couldn't make it up.


Let us never forget the sacrifices made by those brave soldiers for our country. Whether we believe war is right or wrong...whether we disagree with the politics of war, the senselessness (is that a word) of the innocent dying, what ever we believe, we must never forget the troops out there, those that aren't coming home and those that will..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will remember too. And pass on stories and family heirlooms about the war.

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I agree!!

Carrie and Jim said...

Agreed! There is a certain beauty that exists when you meet someone who has been through so much in their lifetime. Or maybe it's their personal sacrifice that is so lovely. Thanks for this post.

My story

Welcome to my blessed life!! Meet myself, a 32 year old stay at home momma. Meet hubby, who I have been married to for 14 years. We got married right out of high school, and while there have been many hardships, my husband is my best friend, and I wouldn't change a thing. We are living life with a 6 year old Grade oner, Gracie and 3 year old toddler, Alysha, which has its challenges, but we love every minute of it. God has blessed us with everything we need as well as tonnes of great friends and family.