Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Blessings

Anne of Green Gables is now a buxom blonde bimbo. I am not going to blog about it, my dear Friend blogged about it and I can't add anything.....Still makes for a sad and depressing part to my day.





  
On my birthday last year I received a gift that I thought was wrought with thoughtfulness and just plain love. I got a handmade journal, within I was supposed to write down 1000 blessings, small, large, whatever. The idea behind this is to change the way we think about life, not have as many negative thoughts, and well plain and simple to count our blessings.

This gift was difficult for me to keep up with. I am by nature probably more a negative person than I am positive. I found myself filling a page with blessings and then forgetting about it for a couple weeks. So another dear friend happened to mention that she had the book, that it was a difficult read and that if I wanted to borrow it I could. So I was delighted and brought it home to read. I wanted to see if there was a trick to this or if I was doing something wrong.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the concept of this. God tells us to be grateful for all things and to count our blessings. But I really can't get this book. The best way to describe it, is for me, this lady writes how one would think in their heads. Rambling, detached, and sometimes a teeny tiny bit crazy. You know, things you wouldn't say to anyone else....

The biggest thing I have taken away from this is that writing down our blessings and thankfulness really can change the way we think about life, and work towards a more positive relationship with our God and our families and friends.

So I have my blessings journal open on my counter, so that I am always reminded to write something down. Anything, even if it is in the midst of a trial. There is always something to thank God for, even if it is minute.

253. The smell of cinnamon bread baking
40. Sticky kisses
100. coffee creamer
301. ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. (Innocence and prolonging a little girls time as a little girl)

May you have a blessed day, and I leave you with this old hymn that I grew up singing, but didn't always listen to the words.

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by.
 
When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I'm glad you are working away on your list - I love the treasure hunting part of it... my written items are fewer and farther between now - it's just hard to come up with different things when your life is so routine - but that's the hunting part..... I agree about the book - I pulled out a lot of things I liked, but it was tough - it could have been written a lot easier to read.... Although the amount of books sold says that doesn't matter - which I find odd??? Hey there's another seed for a blog post!!! Gotta jot that on my idea list!!

My story

Welcome to my blessed life!! Meet myself, a 32 year old stay at home momma. Meet hubby, who I have been married to for 14 years. We got married right out of high school, and while there have been many hardships, my husband is my best friend, and I wouldn't change a thing. We are living life with a 6 year old Grade oner, Gracie and 3 year old toddler, Alysha, which has its challenges, but we love every minute of it. God has blessed us with everything we need as well as tonnes of great friends and family.